Monthly Archives: December 2018
CALGARY – A Calgary employer confirms 30-year-old James Ladino from Edmonton died Wednesday following a workplace accident.
Ladino had joined Insituform Canada earlier this year as a labourer and was working in the deep southeast Calgary community of Cranston Tuesday.
EMS responded to an alley in the 100 block of Cranberry Square S.E. at around 11:15 a.m.
Story continues below
UPDATE: Man suffers critical injuries in Cranston industrial accident
Ladino had “sustained a severe head injury after being struck by some apparatus or machinery they were manipulating while doing some underground utility work,” said Stuart Brideaux, with AHS EMS.
Insituform is a Canadian subsidiary of Aegion Corporation. The private contractor was working on some underground lines in the Cranston alley at the time.
Ladino was above ground when the accident occurred.
Charles R. Gordon, Aegion’s President and Chief Executive Officer, said, “We are very saddened by the loss of one of our employees. Insituform Canada is in the process of conducting a thorough internal investigation of the incident. The incident is also under active investigation by officials of Alberta Occupational Health & Safety and by local police. We are cooperating fully with those investigations and will know more when they are completed and the facts and circumstances are known. We have no further comment at this time.”
BOSTON – A bow that shoots illuminated arrows its manufacturer says can fly up to 145 feet and the “Catapencil” – a pencil with a miniature slingshot-style launcher on its end – are on an annual list of unsafe toys released Wednesday by a Massachusetts-based consumer watchdog group.
World Against Toys Causing Harm, or W.A.T.C.H., issued the “10 Worst Toys” list to remind parents and consumers of the potential hazards in some toys the holiday shopping season gets underway.
Story continues below
Organizers, who have been compiling the lists for more than three decades, said the toys singled out this year are representative of some of the typical problems they come across, and aren’t the only potentially dangerous products on the market.
“It’s not so much about the specific toys. It’s about the hazards,” James Swartz, the group’s director, said at a news conference at the Franciscan Hospital for Children.
READ MORE: GroPro cameras and ugly Christmas sweaters for your pets
Many toys, he said, continue to have the same hazardous designs, including small, detachable parts that infants can choke on; strings that can cause strangulation; dangerous projectiles; and misleading or confusing warning labels and instructions.
“There’s no reason, after all these years, we should have toys like this,” Swartz said as the group displayed each of the ten toys. “We shouldn’t be finding these things for manufacturers. They should be designing them appropriately in the first place.”
Dr. Penny Norman, who developed ScienceWiz’s “Bottle Rocket Party,” said she’s surprised the company’s kit, which includes rocket tubes, stoppers and yellow “caution tape” but not other necessary or recommended items, such as a bicycle pump or safety goggles, made the list.
She said the idea for the kits, which have been on the market since about 2005 and retail for around $15, came after doing homemade bottle rocket experiments with children at summer camps and after-school programs in the Berkeley, California, area.
READ MORE: Don’t want more stuff? This holiday, consider gifts to use and use up
“It’s a time-honoured event for children,” Norman said of launching the water or baking soda-and-vinegar-powered rockets. “But it isn’t about children being set loose to play with them on their own. It’s absolutely about adults running a bottle rocket party event safely.”
The Toy Industry Association said American toy safety standards “remain the most protective in the world” and that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the federal agency responsible for monitoring the safety of toys, “consistently” ranks toys among the safest of 15 consumer product categories commonly found in the home.
“As an industry that creates magical products for children, we hold ourselves to the highest possible standard of care,” the organization said in a statement. “Like WATCH, members of the toy industry are intent on assuring that the toys consumers bring into their homes are safe for their families. Unlike WATCH, we maintain our priority focus on toy safety every day of the year.”
Joan Siff, W.A.T.C.H.’s president, noted that there have been at least 17 toy recalls representing over 4.8 million units of toys in the U.S. and Canada so far in 2014. She urged parents to be extra vigilant during the holiday season, when W.A.T.C.H. says more than 65 per cent of toys are sold.
“Remember: Toys are an embellishment on life,” Siff said. “They are not a necessity. If they can injure a child, they simply should not be sold.”
Here’s W.A.T.C.H.’s full list of “worst toys” for 2014:
“Air Storm Firetek Bow” by Zing“Ziggle” four-wheeled cycle by Radio Flyer“Catapencil” by Toysmith“Alphabet Zoo Rock & Stack Pull Toy” by Skip Hop“SWAT Electric Machine Gun” by Junxing Toys Industrial Co.“Wooden Instruments” sold at Wal-Mart“Bottle Rocket Party” by Norman & Globus (ScienceWiz)“Lil’ Cutesies-Best Friends” doll by JC Toys Group“True Legends Orcs Battle Hammer” sold at Toys R Us“Colored Hedgehog” plush toy sold at Toys R Us
VANCOUVER – An international energy giant has joined an alliance of companies that is promoting the development of a liquefied natural gas industry in northern British Columbia.
ExxonMobile Canada Ltd., a subsidiary of U.S.-based energy giant Exxon Mobil Corp., says it has joined the British Columbia LNG Alliance.
Current members include key international players like Chevron Canada, Shell Canada Energy, PETRONAS, and PetroleumBRUNEI.
The alliance says ExxonMobile has a licence to export as much as 30 million tonnes of LNG annually and the company has entered an option agreement with the City of Prince Rupert for a site at Tuck Inlet.
ExxonMobile says it’s the world’s largest publicly traded oil and gas company, and spokesman Richard Guerrant says it’s looking forward to working with government to develop a world-class LNG in Canada’s west.
In October, the provincial government dropped its proposed goal of a seven per cent income tax on the province’s liquefied natural gas industry to 3.5 per cent for the next two decades.
Proposed B.C. LNG project worth $40 billion
BC Hydro and LNG Canada sign power deal
BG Group pressing pause button on Prince Rupert LNG, citing market conditions
CALGARY – A finalized master plan has been created for a new shopping centre that will replace a northwest strip mall.
The plan calls for the area to be built “up and out” with the old buildings at Stadium Shopping Centre replaced by a hotel, restaurants, retailers and green space.
The 6.1 acre site is located on the corner of 16th Avenue and Uxbridge Drive N.W..
Western Securities is presenting the final drawings via a series of open houses and exhibits at the Stadium Centre site over the course of November.
Story continues below
But the elaborate plans aren’t being paraded about without controversy. A piece of land along 16th Avenue and 29th Street is a municipal reserve. As part of the plans, it would be sold to the developer.
“We certainly know the developer has the right to develop on their own property. The question is what about public land,” says Peter Khu, President of the University Heights Community Association.
There are also concerns about the affects of increased density and traffic to the area.
“Right across the street there are plans to build a 1.2 million square foot cancer centre. There are plans to build up the new parkade much bigger than before and all that traffic is going to go on 16th and 29th,” adds Khu.
The city has listed fourteen conditions that need to be met before the development moves forward.
Area Councillor Ward Sutherland says overall he’s impressed with the plan, but says concerns about transportation must be addressed before the development can proceed.
“These conditions are going to have to be met as the build out occurs, otherwise they can’t build out,” says area Councillor Ward Sutherland.
Public consultations have been ongoing since May 2010.
“I think we’ve spent a lot of time on a consultation process with all the surrounding stake holders, as I mentioned, there [are] a lot of them: not just residents… Alberta Health services and everyone else in the surrounding area and we’ve spent a lot of time listening to what everyone has to say about the site,” says Mike Brescia, with Western Securities.
A decision as to whether to sell the municipal reserve will take place on December 8th.